Taught by trained professionals certified in their fields, the Kenner Citizen Police Academy is 13 weeks of FREE instruction that informs citizens how law enforcement operates. Students are introduced to department staff members and their responsibilities. Students also receive certification in a graduation ceremony and may join the Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association. Graduation from the Citizen Police Academy is also one of the requirements of entry into the Community Police Corps program.
The Kenner Police Department holds two sessions of the Academy per year. One begins in February and the other in August. Classes meet at 6:30 – 9:00 PM once a week for 13 weeks. Announcements regarding upcoming Citizen’s Police Academy Classes will be announced on our social media accounts and this website.
Citizens at least 21 years old, without criminal history and who live or work in Kenner are encouraged to attend. We wish to have our students represent the community that the department serves.
We hope that the graduate of the Academy will use their education to lead the community in improving safety standards, to make better decisions, to promote confidence and encourage membership in the Kenner Police Department in helping to reduce crime.
Classes are held at the Kenner Police Department Headquarters unless otherwise specified. Students should dress comfortably and participate in class discussions. The police department will provide breaks and supplies for note taking. Most importantly, students should be prepared to learn and enjoy themselves.
The Citizen Police Academy provides detailed coverage of the following aspects of the Kenner Police Department:
· Introduction to and the responsibilities of the Command Staff
· Tour of police headquarters and jail
· Rescue equipment and weapons
· Crime scene forensics: collection of evidence, photography, fingerprinting and autopsy
· Criminal investigations
· Computer forensics
· Drug enforcement
· Functions of the Patrol Division
· Crime Prevention and the Community Police Corps
· K-9 demonstrations
· Driver training
· Physical fitness, use of police force and self-defense
· Criminal and domestic violence laws and court procedures
· Traffic enforcement: DWI and alcohol laws, field sobriety tests, intoxilyzer, and radar demonstrations
· Ride along with a police officer for your own tour of duty
*AND MUCH MORE!*
We are not accepting applicants for the Citizen’s Police Academy at this time. Please check back for upcoming classes.